“Framework for Broad Public Engagement in Science, Technology, and Innovation Policy (PESTI)” was established in October 2012 as one of the R&D program: “Science of Science, Technology and Innovation Policy” of Research Institute of Science and Technology for Society (RISTEX), Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) which is a research founding program to promote R&D projects and network formation aimed at realizing objective evidence-based policy forming.


  1. Re-interpret “the public” by making a new segmentation and profile of them and find out broad public needs towards science, technology and innovation (STI).
  2. Apply these needs to the processes of making STI policy options.
  3. Coordinate and cooperate with practitioners so that they can use the results of the project.


  1. Public engagement in STI policy has been required since March 11, 2011, when the Great East Japan earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear accident occurred.
  2. Not only the broad public who are interested in S&T (52.2% of Japanese people) but also the remaining 47.8% are required to engage in STI policy in order to form more democratic STI policy processes.
  3. Coordination and cooperation with practitioners are required to bridge the gap between research on the science of policy and the process of policy-making.


  1. Re-interpreting “the public” from the viewpoint of their level of interest in S&T or engagement in STI policy.
  2. Promoting broad public engagement in STI policy.
  3. Basing STI policy options on public needs, presenting them to policy-makers, and coordinating and cooperating with professionals and practitioners.
Expected outcomes:
       Reflecting the views of the public in the STI policy-making process and ensuring the fairness and transparency of the process.

October 2012
Kei Kano
・Project Principal, PESTI
・Senior Lecturer, Faculty of education, Shiga University
・Specially Appointed Senior Lecturer, Science Communication Group, Institute for Integrated Cell-Material Sciences (WPI-iCeMS), Kyoto University